IVE Global Collaborative
The Institute for Virtual Enterprise (IVE) a Special Initiative of the
City University of New York fosters student engagement and success through
active learning. IVE employs simulations and other applied learning strategies
to support and amplify academic learning. IVE fosters faculty development,
scholarship, research and technology innovation creating learning community
comprised of learners, educators, and business partners.
In pursing this mission, IVE has created a Global Collaborative (GC):
• IVE/GC serves as a clearing house to facilitate sharing and dissemination
of best practices, events, technology innovation, student/faculty interaction
• IVE/GC does not apply a litmus test for participation in the Global
Collaborative or levy any fees, dues or other charges for participation.
• IVE/GC is based on an “open source” model by making
its technology backbone including a bank, credit card and stock market available
at no cost to those interested in collaborative learning partnerships.
• IVE/GC recognizes, encourages, and embraces the development of diverse
learning models to meet the goals and objectives of the partnering institutions.
IVE/GC does not believe that “one size fits all.”
• IVE/GC Technology “Back Bone” currently comprises a
micro-economy. IVE is presently developing a technology interface for the
“Macro Economy” so that students will better understand the
impact of economic policy on their enterprises. This will create new learning
opportunities for students around the world in our increasingly global economy.
• IVE/GC will serve as a catalyst to develop and apply technology
innovation fostering student-to-student communication as well as continuous
faculty training and development. This will redeploy scarce resources to
meet student/program needs and enrich the learning experience for participating
• Partnering is defined by IVE/GC as meeting the goals and objectives
of the participating institution(s) and learning from them. The objective
is to enrich the Collaborative with new models and best practices, to seek
external funding from private and public sources to support further global
innovation by IVE/GC partners.
• IVE/GC encourages participation with multiple service providers/networks
in the virtual world. IVE/GC believes in inclusion; rather than excluding
those eager to work collaboratively.
• IVE/GC recognizes the value of face-to-face events, colloquia, competitions,
etc., to enhance student learning and faculty collaboration. It will seek
to craft such regional, national and international opportunities to convene
IVE/GC learning partners in a sensitive and cost effective manner that adds
value to the Collaboration.
• IVE/GC seeks to minimize costly and wasteful bureaucracy and regulation
in the virtual world. We believe that these are impediments to a vigorous
and vibrant global economy that divert scarce resources from our mission.
To further explore the Virtual World here are some links for you to navigate:
VE in the United States
Collaborative Networks and Partners
Research and Resources